Salmon Idaho

Shop Local:


§ Some Upland Game Seasons are Still Open

§ Don’t Forget to Report on Deer, Elk, Pronghorn Tags

§ It’s Not Too Soon to Enter Super Hunt

§ Ask Fish and Game: Elk Tags

Some Upland Game Seasons are Still Open

Though many big game seasons are winding up, many upland game seasons are still open including several upland birds as well as cottontail rabbits and snowshoe hares.

Hunters will find upland hunting rules and shooting times in the rules brochure at license vendors and Fish and Game offices as well as on the department Website at

Seasons still open include:

· California and bobwhite quail through January 31 in northern and southwestern Idaho. Closed in eastern Idaho.

· Chukar and gray partridge through January 31.

· Pheasants through December 31 in Area 1 in northern Idaho and Area 3 in southwestern Idaho; closed in Area 2 in eastern Idaho.

· Forest grouse, which includes ruffed, spruce and dusky (blue) grouse, through December 31 in most of Idaho; and through January 31 in the Panhandle Region.

· Cottontail rabbits through February 28 and snowshoe hares throughMarch 31. The daily bag limit for both is eight, with 16 in possession after the first day.

There is no season on pygmy rabbits. To distinguish, note that cottontail tails are dark above and white underneath and the pygmy’s tail is buffy gray with no white. The cottontail is more than a foot long, and the pygmy is less than one foot.

Contact the local Fish and Game office to determine whether pygmy rabbits are found in your hunting area.

The fall general turkey season runs through December 15 in game management units 1, 2 (except Farragut State Park and Farragut WMA) 3, 4, 4A, 5 and 6 in northern Idaho.

All hunters need a valid 2011 Idaho hunting license. Turkey hunters also will need tags. The 2011 license will expire December 31, 2011. January hunters must get a 2012 license and any necessary permits.

Don’t Forget to Report on Deer, Elk, Pronghorn Tags

Hunters are required to file a report on their deer, elk and pronghorn hunts within 10 days after harvesting an animal or within 10 days after the end of the hunt if they did not harvest.

Hunters are required to file a report for each tag they bought whether they went hunting or not.

To make it easier to file a report, Fish and Game has a 24-hour, toll-free phone line to speak to a live operator when filing reports. Call 1-877-268-9365 to file reports 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Or go to the Fish and Game Website to file a report at:

To file reports, hunters need to know their tag numbers or hunting license number, the number of days they hunted, the game management units they hunted in, the date they harvested, and the number of antler points on the animal they harvested, or the length of the horns for pronghorns in inches.

These harvest data are valuable to Idaho Fish and Game for managing big game populations.

Hunters who had not yet filed their reports were sent a reminder postcard in mid-November. The postcard is just a friendly reminder, and some hunts are still open, a few until the end of December. Reports should be filed when the hunt is over.

A random sample of hunters who have not yet filed their reports will be contacted to get their report after all their hunts have closed. These survey results will be used to estimate the total harvest. Hunters who do not wish to be called can file their own reports

Harvest data for past years is available on the Fish and Game website at:

· Deer:

· Elk:

· Pronghorn:

For questions or problems entering a hunter report please call the Fish and Game Wildlife Bureau at 208-334-2920 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 208-334-2920end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

It’s Not Too Soon to Enter Super Hunt

Last minute gift idea: get your favorite hunter a chance to win the hunt of a lifetime.

The first drawing is still several months away, but it’s not too early to enter Idaho Fish and Game’s Super Hunt.

The Super Hunt is a fund-raising drawing for 40 big game tags. The tags are handed out to winners in two drawings. Entries are drawn for elk, deer, and pronghorn and moose tags. Winners can participate in any open hunt in the state for deer, elk, pronghorn or moose. That includes general hunts and controlled hunts.

The first Super Hunt entry for a species costs$6. Each additional entry for the same species purchased at the same time costs $4. The Super Hunt Combo entries work the same way. The first one costs $20, and each additional entry purchased at the same time will cost $16.

The first drawing is in June when entries are drawn foreight elk, eight deerandeight pronghorn hunts as well asone moose hunt. One Super Hunt Combo entry also will be drawn that will entitle the winner to four hunts – oneeach elk, deer, pronghorn and moose.

The second drawing is in August with two winners for elk, two for deer, two for pronghorn and one for a moose along with another Super Hunt Combo.

Winners can participate in any open hunt in the state for deer, elk, pronghorn or moose, including general and controlled hunts.

Entries can be bought online at:, at license vendors and Fish and Game offices, by phone at 800-554-8685begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 800-554-8685 end_of_the_skype_highlighting, or by mail at:IDFG License Section, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID 83707.

Money from the sale of entries supports the Access Yes! Program, which compensates landowners to provide hunter and angler access to or across private land.

For information about this program contact local Fish and Game officials or visit the Website at:

Super Hunt winners can now share their stories on Fish and Game’s new Super Hunt Facebook book page, available at

Ask Fish and Game: Elk Tags

Q. I bought my new hunting license and an elk tag, but when I asked for my elk tag, I just got a receipt. I want to make sure I can hunt in one of the capped elk zones, so now what?

A. The receipt for resident big game tags is offered as a convenience, so you only have to make one purchase. Resident general deer and elk tags usually go on sale around July 1. Hunters redeem their receipts for the tag they want. Those who want a capped elk zone tag may redeem their receipt for one of those tags on or after July 10, but only until the resident limit set for the zone is met. The receipt does not guarantee the hunter will get a capped elk zone tag.


Writer Login

Enter the characters shown in the image.



Who's online

There are currently 0 users online.